Sunday, October 3, 2010

I Really REALLY Need an Umbrella

My umbrella broke. I think one could survive longer without a kidney then without an umbrella in London; that's how often it rains. My mission today was to get an umbrella from Sainsbury's. I walked in and decided I wasn't going to go searching since it is the closest thing to Walmart here and the UK. I also didn't want to get separated from my friends so I asked one of the workers. She replied they were out until next week. How the bloody hell does a supermarket in London of all places run out of umbrellas!? I'm still kind of in shock that they were out of them. That should be in the checkout aisle along with the candy bars, tabloid magazines, and soda.

With umbrella searching being an epic fail, I decided to walk  through the supermarket while everyone else shopped. Shopping on a Sunday is worse then senior citizen discount day in the US given the massive amount of shoppers. Literally every single line was backed up with customers. In the aisles was even more crazier. I've come to realize here that PDA isn't really taboo. Personally I'm not a fan, no matter how in love I am. In addition I really don't want to see middle aged people snogging in front of the pasta sauce either. Not a turn on for me, but whatever. But in all seriousness, I've seen people making out waiting for the tube, in pubs, in stores. It's something that is quite more common here then in the US.

Since it was Sunday, I took part in a traditional Sunday roast dinner. I supplied the baking pan for the brownies, which we ended up eating before dinner. We had a roast chicken from Sainsbury's. I have been smelling them for two weeks now so I'm really glad we got one. In addition we also had Yorkshire pudding, roasted potatoes, and carrots. I am fascinated with British stuffing because it is nothing like ours. They use breadcrumbs and there does not seem to be as much vegetables in it, but nevertheless it is still really good. I'm gonna have to show everyone real stuffing on Thanksgiving.

I have to end this on a sad note though, tonight at the pub quiz our team, Jumpy the Pig, lost. So sadly somewhere out there Jumpy is being roasted. (The name came from some Pig Jump game that is free on the Ipod Touch). The little pig in the game is so cute, and its addicting. Don't judge me...

Not looking forward to the tube strike tomorrow, so that means I get to take the bus to class!

No comments:

Post a Comment