Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The Burger

Day 3 in Hampstead and no Katy Perry sighting, although I did walk by the store where George Michael ran his car into, leading to his most recent arrest. I thought the hamburger was universal, but apparently it wasn't.

Even though I don't have jet lag, I don't think my stomach has caught up yet. Today walking back from a few meetings with my advisor in the study abroad department I was so hungry and decided to stop at the nearest place that had food at a decent price. My luck it was an Indian place. I'm not too firmiliar with Indian food with the exception of naan, but I had to eat something substantive and was creaving meat so I figured why not order a hamburger. I mean how weird could it be?

It started out fine, a typical hamburger with a slice of cheese, but then the Indian man who made it started putting condiments on it because I don't think his English was that good nor could he understand my accent. He started by putting lettuce, onions, and cucumbers. I mean cucumbers is close to pickles so no biggie. I had to draw the line when he started putting carrots and cabbage on it. He also didn't get that I wanted ketchup on my burger and he insisted on putting on what they called "burger sauce". It kind of tasted like Big Mac sauce but was very vinegary. Then of course my chips ended up being topped not just with salt but also malt vinegar, which I actually liked. British ketchup (or as this bottle was called, "tomato sauce") is mainly vinegar with a bit of tomato paste, way sweeter then American ketchup.

To top off all the weirdness, for some reason everyone in the restaurant was obsessed with watching Sally Jessie Raphael which was playing on the TV, I hope they realize that talk show hasn't been on in like 10 years...

I have nothing scheduled the next few days, taking a break after the pub scene the past two nights. Tomorrow night I'll be back in full force. Perhaps I'll do something touristy tomorrow and Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment