Monday, November 22, 2010

Pierre and Paris

I'll admit that prior to going to Paris I was not that excited, just because everyone in the US kind of bitches about the French (which in some ways is entirely deserving), but after this weekend it was an amazing time and I can't wait to go back. So here's how this weekend went down.

It all started at St. Pancras station boarding Eurostar. I had the honor of sitting next to the Shinead O'Connor look alike, like that was anything hot to look at for two long hours. Then once we got into Paris we stopped moving and they came over the loud speaker and were talking in French. Naturally I had no clue what was going on and only when everyone grunted did I know that there was a twenty minute delay into Paris. This is where my bad luck seemed to run out though thankfully.

Cut to my first experience on the Paris metro. Sweet mother of God, what the hell is with the people of Paris and there public transportation system. The minute one descends into the darkness that is the Paris subway the smell of urine becomes immediately recognizable. Plus there is a ton of garbage and cigarette butts everywhere. Remember they keep it classy. Also, I am quite positive they are breaking some form of safety regulation in the US because the doors open manually when the train is slightly moving still. Oh and beware of getting your hand stuck in the doors which the French denote by this really cute picture of a bunny getting stuck in the door. Don't ask why...

After getting to the hostel I realized I needed to pay in cash so I had to run to the ATM to get more Euros aka monopoly money. There I met the annoying German girls who were in my room and the boy from Luzern, Switzerland. Sad to say though I would not be seeing them that evening because I ended up pulling an all nighter. For dinner I ended up walking around Paris and ate a delicious piece of three cheese pizza. Only downside was the three cheeses were Bree, mozzarella, and feta. All great cheeses by themselves but together not so much.

Then after my pizza disaster we met up with Derek and a few of my favorite new chicas. My favorite part of Friday evening was the punch these really nice old ladies made at the bar we went to. It was damnnn good. Plus I also enjoyed the fact that the club charged 10 euro but it included a drink. The music was mainly all American which was funny because all the French people were dancing not knowing what the words were while all of us were drunk singing along. Oh and then Utah was just there whipping his hair back and forth. By 3am it was time to leave though since I had some crazy people creeping on me and I had enough fun for one night, so I thought.

We get out of the club and after walking around aimlessly for about an hour looking for food or a lounge to go chill, I realize that I have no clue how to get back since there is no subway running and I don't know the bus system, and you don't hail cabs in Paris you have to go to taxi stations. So how did I solve this issue? Geoff and I decided to pull an all nighter and just go wander for food. That being said we forgot the French were lazy bastards and despite the smell of freshly baked bread filling the streets at 5am nothing in reality opened until like 8:30 am at the earlier, including McDonalds (drive through 24/7 in the US...keeping it classy France once again).

Luckily by 6:00am we were able to find a cafe and I had my first venture into Parisian food which was bread, croissant, orange juice, and hot chocolate. This feeling I had inside me was one I had not felt in months. It was the feeling of being full and actually eating good food (no offense Brits but one can only eat so much cheese and bacon sandwiches). With my stomach full I decided to go back to the hostel for a round two of breakfast which was the same thing I had at the cafe. Then I took a slight nap and was at the Louve with Geoff by 9am. Yes I only got 2 hours of sleep but the high of being in Paris had me ready to go.

Here are my thoughts on the Louve: Mona Lisa, over rated. The picture right behind her is more massive, and way way wayyyyyyy more impressive. Furthermore, given the ornate detail and design of the Louve, which was once a royal palace, I now know why the French killed their monarchs because I would have too if they used all my tax money to live such lavish lifestyles.Then we went to the "Bastille" which I use in quotations because its not longer there, big letdown, and the Moulin Rouge. After that we did some running around seeing the Eiffel Tower during the day. Me being the moron that I am had to ask one of the street vendors how much one of the towers cost and then I got a five minute sales pitch which ended in me taking the tower he gave me and setting it on the ground and walking away because I was just enquiring on how much they cost. I had no plan on buying them at that given moment.  For lunch then I had some McDonald's. French McDonald's offer potato wedges instead of fries with mayo dipping sauce. So.damn.good. And of course while I was enjoying my McRoyal

After all this we sat by the Seine, and sat, and sat...two and a half hours later we finally got off the park bench. Now I know why Parisians do nothing and bitch when they have to work more then 35 hours a week and past 60. I would be too because it is so addicting and there is something about this city that just wants to make you sit down, have a coffee and a baguette and relax.

Going back to the hostel before dinner I thought I was going to die though. This woman got on screaming in French that she needed milk to feed her baby (or so I think?) I thought oh shit this is it, this is a suicide bomber. The woman scared me so much since I didn't think she was carrying an actual kid I got off the metro car, and then I saw someone jump the wall so they did not have to pay to get into the subway.

At dinner I realized that for some crazy reason wine is in fact cheaper then water in Paris. That being said dinner consisted of Madame Cluck (or whatever its called, a ham and cheese sandwich with a fried egg on top), tossed greens, and some french fries along side a Long Island Iced Tea! Then we went and saw the Eiffel Tower (at night!) before finally having a chocolate covered marshmallow and going to bed.

And then it was Sunday we went to Notre Dame for church. I was really annoyed though how people were allowed to walk around the edges of the inside of the church and take pictures and talk during mass. I found that entirely rude. And also I'm sorry but churches shouldn't have a gift store. I must say though it was one beautiful and amazing church though. The stained glass windows and the architecture were just breath taking.


And now cue The Carpenters.  While waiting to meet up with Richard for lunch in the Jewish Quarter, Geoff and I were waiting at a bistro getting some crepes. I never got my chocolate crepe sadly. I pointed to it on the menu and got hot chocolate, but then I met him....Pierre. He was so hairy and would not leave my site. Yes, Pierre was a cat. I hate cats but this random cat jumped on my lap in this cafe and would not leave my sight. He was such a Parisian cat. All he needed was a beret and a cig and he would look so chic. We are now long lost lovers. One day Pierre I will see you again and here you say "le meow".

After saying goodbye to Pierre, I consoled myself with a chocolate eclair. Then we met up with Richard and went to the Jewish Quarter for falaffel. We waited outside for a bit but then the man said go inside and sit down its easier. Little did we know he never said that you had to buy the more expensive platters if we sat down inside instead of the falaffel pitas. I can make a joke, but I'll let you. I see a bit of irony there...

Then after all this it was au vou (I think that is how it spelled). Paris I will be back again someday when I'm rich because I am craving your food as we speak!

2 comments:

  1. I think this is my favorite shagged abroad blog post yet. Perhaps because of the many french misspellings or maybe just bc of the hairy pierre..cat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Matty. Btw, au revoir, croque madame and LOUVRRRRRRRRRRRRE.
    That was a bit painful to read.
    Xx
    A

    ReplyDelete