Sunday, November 7, 2010

UFF!

Uff is quite possibly the greatest word that actually has no real meaning. Eve said everyone in Madrid says it for everything and now it is my favorite word to say too, so Londoners beware.

Peter Pan Statue
Friday was an interesting day which started with my War Studies session. I think Hermione may have had a coronary because he (yes the person I call Hermione is a girl) was just grunting when he got disgusted by peoples opinions and responses. This combined with the constant raising of his hands led to me laughing constantly, which I did not care about at this point. GW registration meant I missed my history class, and for once it went smoothly for the most part. One class that I wanted is currently restricted to majors only but life goes on. I would have rather sat and watched paint dry for an hour instead of go to history discussion because a) I find the TA to be pretty boring and way too philosophical in his approach to the British Empire and b) this girl I got put in a group with talks way too much. Guess the main theme I am trying to get at here is that I am not the biggest fan of brown nosers.



And this is where my weekend gets sooooooooo much better. First of all, I got my new laptop finally and then Geoff and Eve were in London so thats when the fun started! Our Friday evening consisted of a few bars and a "proper" indian meal. On the way to the resturaunt though a woman asked me if I was English, as in the nationality. Naturally Geoff and Eve said no, but I said kind of. She wanted to know where the Victoria tube station was. Well...given the fog in St. James's Park I could not see the sign that said where the station was, even though I knew it was close. I was so caught off guard because I realized "shit its really foggy". By response was, "Ok I'm not that English" and walked away.


Buckingham Palace
National History Museum
Now back to the resturaunt. Let me say for 12.50 this was a really good meal. We got a little bit of everything, what was in it...I am not too sure but it was really good. My favorite personally was the nan and the potato pancake like ball with the taziki-ish cucumber sauce. And in addition it was dinner and a show! Next to us was the most charming Scottish man who for the record was not drunk. He asked if we were American since he heard us talking. He LOVED America. He then went on to talking about how it was his favorite country (other then the UK) and asked us about our history. According to him FDR, Reagan, and Thatcher were his favorite US and UK leaders, and then by this point he fell out of his chair. But remember he wasn't drunk he just lost his balance. He then discussed that no one seems to like Carter because he didn't do much. He then ended his conversation by hand shaking our hands and asking that we continue the special bond and friendship because we are best friends. Naturally I said of course because I love the Brits and then he started singing what he claimed was "God Bless America". Awkward silence ensued because it wasn't the right song so I screamed "God save the Queen!" He said, "She needs it," and then he walked out the door.

With our poppies!
The next day was action backed with all the touristy things around London starting with the Science Museum. The best part by far was the interactive area despite the fact that we were way too old to be in there and probably should have been asked to leave. Then Eve played "Energy Ninjas" which I swear is indoctrination because it was trying to get you to recycle and rat out your neighbors for buring garbage or something like that. That was followed by Buckingham Palace, the Diana Memorial (which I found this time), and some Bergs and Mash for lunch with some cider. While at Hyde Park we found the Perter Pan statue. This is a public service announcement to all parent: Don't let your kids just climb all over statues, especially when people are trying to take pictures, and especially don't go over to get them off the statue and then proceed to show them every animal that is covered on the statue.

Then we finally found some poppies so we fit in. The Brits wear them to comemorate WWI basically. Eve and Geoff got the whole story from some guy when they landed so I'm gonna go with it. With our poppies freshly pinned on our coats we were then off the the Tower of London, Harrod's, and Abbey Road. Abbey Road...is full of traffic...so I don't know how the Beatles were able to cross the street. I got an OK picture trying to do so. And finally after weeks of epic build up I finally FINALLY had some fish and chips with them at The Flask in Hampstead. It was really good, and thank god the tartar sauce was good because if it was that crap from Morrison's I bought I would have been pissed.
Abbey Road


I was a wonderful weekend to say the least. Uff!

No comments:

Post a Comment