Tuesday, November 9, 2010

I'm All Wet (Again)

So I forgot to mention this yesterday, but it has been rainy for the past few days in London. Having the luck that I have this means that my umbrella was destined to break, which it did. It basically just collapses on one side and the handle is unable to go down all the way. To quote The Hangover my umbrella is a "re-tard". So basically, once again...I'm all wet!

I have a paper due this week before I leave for Amsterdam on Friday, so naturally I took a trip to Narnia to get some work done. I am quite surprised I must say. I literally spend hours upon hours doing absolutely nothing procrastinating in my room and I think I got just as much work done in the library in two hours. After two hours and 1,000 words (out of 2,000 including footnotes) I had enough magical fun for the day and went back to Hampstead in the rain.

This has been bothering me for a few months now and I think I want to get it out, why exactly on the tube does the woman say: "Customers Blackfriars should alight at Temple and continue their journey at street level." Maybe it's just me  but I feel like you need some sort of preposition in between there such as "to" or "for" since two nouns back to back, in this case "customers" and "Blackfriars" makes absolutely no sense at all, where is the proper grammar there? And ever since Geoff stated that the term "way out" is weird I have started thinking the same thing for some reason. Oh and while we are on the subject of tube etiquette and grammar, this is a kind word of advice for all my non-English speaking friends: you stand to the right! And also, when playing music, headphones were invented for a reason, use them. I love how people claim not to know English and ignore the signs but listen to American music, so ironic.

I also got one of my papers back today and I simply do not understand the British grading system, which apparently is now going to be Americanized but still using their numbers. For example, a B is a 60-64, and A is a 70-79. Apparently if you get higher then an A you are like Einstein and should have your work published in Oxford.

And to show that I still pay attention to American news, I was informed that Alvin Greene called the DNC to ask how much it would cost to run for President. God help us everyone.

Hopefully I will stay dry tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment